Livestock Crew Member
Employer: Harlem Valley Homestead
Work Location: Wingdale, NY
Compensation Range: $16-18/hr
Duties / Responsibilities
About Harlem Valley Homestead
Harlem Valley Homestead is a diversified vegetable, flower, and livestock farm on a breathtaking 250 acres in Wingdale, Dutchess County, NY entering our 7th year of operation. The farm is nestled between the Ten Mile River and the ridgeline that the Appalachian Trail runs along, with steep hills, wetlands, and ponds forming the backdrop for our farming enterprises. We are 5 minutes from hiking points on the AT, and other outdoor recreation is nearby including swimming and fishing. We are also 5 minutes from the Metro North Train Station with easy access to New York City.
Our mission is to deepen our connections to place, to each other, and ourselves, through hands-on learning and immersive experiences. Over the last six seasons, we have restored 50 acres of grazing pasture and silvopasture with our cow herd, chicken flock, and pigs. We have also developed a market garden with 1.5 acres in intensive crop production and another 3-acre field in cover crop, a 3,000 sq ft heated hoop house used for farm operations including propagation and wash/pack, and a 3,000 sq ft moveable hoop house. As we develop our farming operations, we also plan to expand our capacity to host guests onsite. We plan to restore our barns and farmhouse and build small cabins for overnight guests. To work towards this future, we are creating systems to support public engagement: running programs and workshops and hosting school groups and mentorship programs.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about farming to join our livestock crew for this season. All farm crew members will be trained across basic crop and livestock competencies as well but this position would primarily focus on livestock operations and sales.
This year we will graze approximately 40 head of cattle and 200 layer chickens on 50 acres of pasture, and raise 30 pigs in our woods. This person will work closely with our livestock manager and other livestock crew members in all aspects of animal husbandry and also support our sales initiatives. Training will be provided for all responsibilities but livestock experience is required.
Self-motivation and a collaborative spirit are essential, as is the ability to work efficiently and safely (training provided) and to transition quickly to new tasks. As a team, we care about the quality of the products we produce for our customers, as well as the people, land, and animals who are all essential to a successful farm. Ideally, we are looking for someone who would like to stay with us for multiple seasons, and there may be potential to stay on through the winter working reduced hours. If you want to get your hands dirty and are eager to continue to learn on the job and ask questions, then join us! Previous farming experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Daily Chores: Execute daily chores related to livestock care and feeding.
- Infrastructure Maintenance: Maintain water lines, fencing, and other infrastructure.
- Animal Movement: Assist and/or lead animal moves for rotational grazing or other purposes.
- Animal Health: Support animal health through observation and assistance with handling in the corral.
- Assist in maintaining accurate and up to date livestock records
Sales and Customer Interaction:
- Market Sales: Sell farm products at markets, engaging with customers in a friendly and informative manner.
- Customer Education: Educate customers on-farm practices, products, and sustainable agriculture.
- On-Site Guest Interaction: Interact with on-site guests, providing information and enhancing their farm experience.
Assist in all aspects of sales, distribution, and inventory management, including our meat CSA (new this year!) and farm stand.
Other responsibilities will include but are not limited to working with perennial crops such as fruit trees, snow removal, and supporting farm programming activities as needed.
Success in this position will require:
- Availability to work March through late fall of 2024
- Working 40 hours per week with some seasonal fluctuations and reduced hours in the shoulder/off seasons.
- Availability and willingness to work weekends for chores, markets, and/or events
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license for operating farm and road vehicles (this is a requirement by our insurance carrier)
- Willingness to drive and/or learn to drive farm vehicles (utility vehicles, pickup, box truck, livestock trailer, and van)
- Respect for safety guidelines, training, and procedures
- Reliable work attendance, and transparent and timely communication around time off
- Ability to work outside with a positive attitude in all (safe) weather conditions
- Harlem Valley Homestead has a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19 compliant with applicable state and federal law.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $16-$18 / hour, dependent on experience (housing not included)
- Overtime paid after 40 hours a week
- PTO (Paid time Off)
- Access to surplus produce when available and staff discount on retail farm product
- C.R.A.F.T. (Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training) membership with the opportunity to visit regional farms
- Limited shared on-site housing may be available
- Reimbursement for up to $300 in medical bills during employment
- $200 gear stipend for the season
REQUIRED TRAINING, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Required Training: Farm safety, farm SOPs, and other trainings as required by law
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within the office, around the farm, and off-site in farm vehicles. Ability to move throughout the office, as well as attend off-site appointments, and the ability to consistently and safely lift 50 pounds, and on occasion up to 80 lbs.
- Safety: In addition to safety training, the employee must obey all safety policies and wear proper PPE as needed or specified in safety policies.
- Work Environment: Work will be divided between outdoor and indoor duties, on the farm, and in the community. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time, including heat, wind, rain, and snow. The noise level in the work environment will vary from quiet to high.
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
If you think Harlem Valley Homestead might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply through our online application.