Employer: Harlem Valley Homestead
Work Location: Wingdale, NY
Term of Employment: Full time, year round
Compensation Range: 50,000-55,000 + bonus
Duties / Responsibilities
The crops manager is part of our farm management team along with the livestock manager and farm manager. They will be responsible for weekly planning and daily task management for crop needs, as well as quarterly and annual planning for the crops enterprises. We work closely together and provide support to one another to ensure balance and the overall success of the farm on environmental, financial, and human levels. This position is primarily focused on annual crop production, but we do have limited perennial plantings with plans to expand them in the future. This position will require training and management of other staff, and the ability to delegate and re-prioritize is essential. The crops manager will also be involved in recruiting and hiring staff for the season; however, much of our crew from 2023 is returning for next season.
While a large part of this position is focused on crop production and other fieldwork, we work closely together as an organization to manage the overall farm and plans for the future. The farm management team plays a pivotal role as a bridge between administration, farm crew, and day-to-day operations to ensure smooth communication and collaboration across all levels. This person will work with other staff including safety and compliance, finance, programming, participate in manager and staff trainings, and broader organizational planning. We also support each other in other ways too! Our entire staff comes together regularly to work in the field, and we share a weekly lunch that we take turns cooking for.
While we are not pursuing organic certification, we follow organic practices and in some cases go beyond. We follow an intensive market garden production model. Beds are prepared and turned over with a combination of tractor, BCS, and hand tools. All other field work is handscale. We focus on improving soil health through the use of cover cropping, compost, and other amendments, and reducing tillage.
Our primary sales channel is Hastings Farmers Market in Westchester County where we have developed a reputation for exceptional produce (and meat and eggs). We also sell to a few restaurants in the area and run an online farmstand with weekly on-site pick-up.
Crop production responsibilities include:
- Overseeing all aspects of annual and perennial crop production including soil prep, seeding, planting, irrigation, trellising, and weed, pest, and disease management
- Harvest, wash/pack, and crop storage
- Equipment operation and basic maintenance (checking fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc.)
- Daily/weekly planning and coordination with the livestock manager for support needs
- Maintenance and upkeep of farm infrastructure such as greenhouses, irrigation system, and crop storage spaces (with support as needed)
Crew management responsibilities include:
- Weekly and daily task management including delegating and prioritizing tasks
- Hiring and training up to three seasonal staff, including developing training materials
- Setting goals and having mid-season check-ins with seasonal staff
- Ensuring weekly time cards are accurate and submitted
Administrative responsibilities include:
- Updating online store and POS system with product information and inventories
- Customer service/education for all sales channels and occasional farmers market work
- Contributing to newsletter content for customers
- Maintaining records for all crop production
- Reviewing sales records to inform production and harvest as needed
- Maintaining inventories of crops and supplies
- Managing our crop production budget and providing monthly and quarterly operational and budget reports
Organizational responsibilities include:
- Developing and revising farm Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to maintain a safe and compliant work environment
- Occasional support of other areas of operation such as livestock, land management, and public programming
- Contributing to team activities and initiatives to support a positive and inclusive work environment
- As this person gains experience and capacity, there is potential for this role to expand and encompass additional responsibilities or project-based work as needed / as desired
Desired Applicant Experience
Success in this position will require:
- 2+ years of annual crop production experience
- Average of 40 – 50 hours per week, with some seasonal fluctuations
- Availability to work some weekends, for rotating farm chores and market attendance
- Willingness to work as part of a team to work towards common goals and objectives
- Ability to work outside with a positive attitude in all (safe) weather conditions
- Reliable work attendance, and transparent and timely communication with other managers and team for taking time off
- Respect for, and enforcement of, safety guidelines and procedures
- Use & adoption of our technology suite including Square, Google, Expensify, Airtable, and any other software/services we introduce (training will be provided)
- Clean driving record (required by our insurance) and valid driver’s license to drive farm vehicles, and a willingness to drive/or learn to drive the following: utility vehicles, tractor, pickup truck, small box truck, and small van
-Harlem Valley Homestead has a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19 compliant with applicable state and federal law. Applicants may be entitled to an exemption from this policy in accordance with said laws
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
Harlem Valley Homestead is a diversified vegetable, flower, and livestock farm on a breathtaking 250 acres in Wingdale, Dutchess County, NY entering our 7th year of operation. The farm is nestled between the Ten Mile River and the ridgeline that the Appalachian Trail runs along, with steep hills, wetlands, and ponds forming the backdrop for our farming enterprises. We are 5 minutes from hiking points on the AT, and other outdoor recreation is nearby including swimming and fishing. We are also 5 minutes from Metro North with easy access to New York City.
Our mission is to deepen our connections to place, to each other, and ourselves, through hands-on learning and immersive experiences. Over the last six seasons, we have restored 50 acres of grazing pasture and silvopasture with our small cow herd, chicken flock, and pigs. We have also developed a market garden with 1.5 acres in intensive crop production and another 3 acre field in cover crop, a 3,000 sq ft heated hoop house used for farm operations including propagation and wash/pack, and a 3,000 sq ft moveable hoop house. As we develop our farming operations, we also plan to expand our capacity to host guests onsite. We plan to restore our barns and farmhouse and build small cabins for overnight guests. To work towards this future, we are creating systems to support public engagement: running programs and workshops and hosting school groups and mentorship programs.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
-Salary - $50-55k commensurate with experience
-Bonus - Performance-based bonus with metrics established during onboarding
-Fully paid health insurance
-Dental and Vision Health available at employee’s cost
-401k with up to 3.5% match after 6 months
-Generous PTO Policy (paid time off)
-House produce and employee discount on all farm product
REQUIRED TRAINING, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
-Required Training: Farm safety, farm SOPs, and other trainings as required by law
-Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within the office, around the farm, and off-site. Ability to move throughout the office, as well as attend off-site appointments, and the ability to safely lift 50 pounds regularly, and occasionally up to 80 lbs at a time
-Safety: In addition to safety training, the employee must obey all safety policies and wear proper PPE as needed or specified in safety policies
-Work Environment: Work will be divided between outdoor and indoor duties, on the farm, and in the community. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time, including heat, wind, rain, and snow. The noise level in the work environment will vary from quiet to high
Please note that this job description is not comprehensive. If you think Harlem Valley Homestead might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply through our online application: https://airtable.com/appCKgeSkg48toUqr/shrXnCGFoCREjN2pp
At Harlem Valley Homestead we believe it is the collective sum of our individual differences that make us stronger as a whole. Harlem Valley Homestead is committed to creating a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness to each other and to the land. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, culture & ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, and all other protected classes.
We publicly affirm our ongoing commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization and that our anti-racism commitment be reflected in the life and culture of our policies, programs, and hiring practices as we continue to learn about bias and racism.