Assistant Farm Manager
Employer: Cloverleigh Farm
Work Location: Columbia, CT
Term of Employment: April - November 2024
Compensation Range: $19-20/hr depending on experience
Duties / Responsibilities
This position carries the daily responsibilities of leading field work, harvesting, and greenhouse seeding. The assistant manager will work in conjunction with the farm owner/manager to prioritize activities for the week and the assistant manager will execute the plan. Excellent opportunity for someone ready for more responsibility and interest in helping to grow this farm business. Requires two seasons of full time work on a mixed vegetable farm, committment to excellent communication, willingness to jump in to get things done and provide a positive team environment.
This is a seasonal full time position March-November with potential to extend to part-time winter work based on high tunnel construction completion. Responsibilities include managing the same CSA pickup day each week all season. We have a planned series of public on-farm events to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, which staff can participate in as interested. We will hopefully be building out a new farm store this season and adding two high tunnels.
The assitant manager works a Mon-Fri schedule during March, April, May and switches to Tues-Saturday for June to November. Hours average 30-40/wk during March, April and November, 40-50/wk from May-October. Work days begin at 8am in March, April and November, but primarily it’s a 7 am to 4 pm schedule for the majority of the season. This includes a 30 minute unpaid break for lunch and short paid breaks mid morning and mid afternoon.
- Hourly pay. $19-20/hr depending on experience
- $200 gear stipend
- Workers compensation insurance
- CSA full share
- July 4th paid day off
- Alloted one week vacation (unpaid) to be taken in August or September
Desired Applicant Experience
- Two years of full time work on an established vegetable farm
- Ability to lead through example (in both words and actions)
- Comfortable working one-on-one with farm manager and as a team leader with the crew.
- Attention to detail and ability to focus to work efficiently and with skill
- Comfortable taking direction, giving direction to others and asking good questions
- Positive attitude and great work ethic; good conversationalist, jumps in to help out without be asked
- Follows instructions and asks for clarification when needed
- Interest in working outdoors in hot, cold, buggy, rainy, sunny, or any and all conditions
- Ability to kneel, bend, walk, lift, and carry 30-50 lb. crates of vegetables repeatedly and consistently
- Good communication skills, kind disposition, interest in chatting with CSA members, and happy to share.
- Interest in high quality vegetable production and organic growing practices, working in conjunction with our partner livestock farm.
- Experience in tractor work (laying plastic mulch, driving transplanter) or driving tractors at minimum.
- Driver’s license
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
Apply using our online form on our website