Love growing vegetables? Looking for shared living space? Read on!
Meriden/Wallingford: Roommate opportunity for individual to share suburban 5-room ranch with owner couple. Front yard raised beds on ½ acre, treed private lot – ideal to grow your own fruits and vegetables! Safe quiet neighborhood with easy access to highways. Shared off-street parking.
Includes 11 x 11 bedroom with closet, shared bathroom, basic heat, hot water, electricity, use of kitchen, living room, washer and dryer, basement storage, yard, large chemical free (12 years) permaculture garden, fruit trees and berries, on site composting and fire pit.
Seeking non-smoker, no pets allowed, $650 per month. Application, first, last and security required.
Contact Chris at 203-427-3194.
Red Fire Farm Storage Crops Available this Fall and Winter
If you are looking for additional produce items to supplement your fall and winter CSA or store needs, we have a good abundance of items available for wholesale. We can sell produce washed and packed, or unwashed in bulk if you intend to store for an extended period. Below is a list of the items that we have available.
Also we still have a good abundance of beautiful jackolantern pumpkins, white pie sized pumpkins and gourds (spoon, orange munchkin, white munchkin, warty and other assorted). Normal pumpkin price is $200 per pallet bin, but if you are able to take 6 or more bins we can work out a discounted price of $150 per bin.
We can arrange delivery of pumpkins via our trailer truck, and other produce via our box trucks to many New England locations.
Fall and Winter Roots available:
-Chieftain Red Potato
-Satina Yellow Potato
-Adirondack Blue Potato
-Gold Rush Russet Potato
-Papa Chaco Fingerling Potato
-Larratte Yellow Fingerling Potato
-Orleans Orange Sweet Potato
-Mursaki Purple Sweet Potato
-Bonita White Sweet Potato
-Purple Top Turnip
-Grey and Green Kabocha Squash
For pricing, questions or other info, or to arrange an order:
Seeking Organic Farm Manager (full time/year round) on Long Island for 127 year old family farmToggle Title
**Please note a resume AND cover letter are required in order to be considered for the
position. We are looking to hire for the 2020 season, but are able to bring someone on board
sooner if they are available.**
Youngs Farm was founded in 1893 and is one of the few remaining working farms in Nassau
County. It is currently being operated by the 4th and 5th generation of the Youngs family. We are
located less than 30 miles from New York City in a bucolic setting with high-quality schools nearby.
In addition to the farm itself, we have a farm stand and bakery on-premise. The store sells our
produce, baked goods, prepared foods which are made in our commercial kitchen and a selection of
grocery items and housewares.
We have approximately 15 acres of land in production. Roughly ⅓ of that land is rotated into cover
crop annually. There are a few different opportunities to expand into adjacent land in the near future.
We have been farming organically for 3 seasons, with the long term intention of organic certification –
the candidate would have an integral role in the long term planning of the farm and its growing,
harvest and management methodology.
The farm manager will be responsible for the management, planning, and oversight of all covered
and outdoor production. This includes, but is not limited to:
● Planning and managing all aspects of seed ordering, seed starting and transplanting
● Coordination of farm crew hiring, training, schedule, and daily responsibilities
● Soil testing, soil amendments, composting and cover cropping for soil quality and erosion
● Irrigation maintenance, management, and upgrades
● Harvesting, washing and packing for retail according to GAPs and FSMA specifications
● Use and maintenance of mechanized farm equipment – including but not limited to tractors,
spaders, discs, bed shapers, plastic layers, various cultivators, mowers and spreaders
● Improve and/or maintain overall cleanliness and organization of field production equipment
and farm-related spaces
● Appropriate record-keeping for GAPs and FSMA approval, Organic Certification and farm
Approximately 95% of the produce is sold directly to the consumer through of our on-site store which
is open 11 months out of the year. The candidate’s ability to teach and communicate with the farm
crew as well as additional staff is essential. Our ideal candidate would proactively seek out and
implement new agricultural theories and concepts and keep up to date with current farm-related
publications and news. Strong management, cleanliness, organization and record-keeping are also
very important to us. The business is trending upward and we would love for the candidate to be
able to grow along with the business. The position is year-round with slightly reduced time in the
winter months. We have implemented some season extension practices through our heated
greenhouse but primarily with caterpillar tunnels. Ideally, the farm manager would help us continue
to offer more produce year-round and continually upgrade our indoor growing spaces. There is
additionally potential to develop the wholesale business whether via restaurants or distributors if we
could significantly increase our produce supply.
Qualifications and Skills
● 5 years of managerial commercial farming experience in organic production, certified
● Experience planning and managing planting and work schedules with farm staff; setting
goals and critical timelines
● Extensive understanding of crop rotation, cover cropping, irrigation and soil maintenance,
and weed management.
● Knowledge of farm equipment to ensure proper function and maintenance
● Positive, energetic attitude and open communication
● Willingness to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess
priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
● Experience dealing with health, safety and environmental standards and regulations
● Knowledge of and experience with the organic certification process
● Comfort with technology and computers is also very important. Experience with grant
writing/applications is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience – we would estimate $50-80,000. You will be eligible
for a company health plan. Please feel free to contact us – we’d be happy to answer any questions
you might have.
Again, please note a resume AND cover letter are required in order to be considered for the
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
You have requested that you answer the following questions:
● How many years of Farm Machinery experience do you have?
● How many years of Farming experience do you have?
● How many years of Management experience do you have?
● Are you authorized to work in the following country: United States?
● Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local
The farm manager will be responsible for the management, planning, and oversight of covered and outdoor production. All produce is sold on-site. The business includes a bakery and commercial kitchen.
Contact Tim Dooley at firstname.lastname@example.org