Vegetable Production Assistant
Employer: Coverdale Farm Preserve / Delaware Nature Society
Work Location: 543 Way Road Greenville DE 19807
Term of Employment: Full-time, salaried
Compensation Range: 44,000/yr. + benefits package
Duties / Responsibilities
- Collaborates with CFP Vegetable Production Manager by providing input into the annual production plan.
- Develops monthly/daily/weekly task lists in coordination with CFP Vegetable Production Manager to satisfy goals of annual production plan. Practices adaptive management of lists regularly and communicate effectively with VP team.
- Acts as field lead for all necessary cultural practices for vegetable crops including weeding, trellising, pruning, thinning, nutrient/pest/disease management, protection against adverse weather, etc.
- Harvests, washes & packs produce to fulfill weekly client purchase schedule maintaining the highest standard of food safety and quality. Ensures standard operating procedures are in accordance with the Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Supports all aspects of greenhouse work: seed germination, plant propagation, seedling care, transplanting, and hardening off.
- Provides support and task assignment to a seasonal team of employees, specifically takes leadership of team in field operations, harvest, wash & pack functions.
- Leads a team of Vegetable Production Volunteers to supplement seasonal employee’s capacity.
- Performs other duties as requested by Supervisor.
- Participate and support organization wide events and programs.
- Promote & support Delaware Nature Society’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
Desired Applicant Experience
- At least two years’ experience working on a 4-season, diversified vegetable production enterprise demonstrating successful plant propagation, field production, managing productive staff teams, excellent client/customer skills, efficient operational systems.
- Knowledge of regenerative/sustainable/organic field management, regenerative/sustainable/organic certification record keeping/process, and regenerative land management. Experience with greenhouses and polyculture growing.
- Excellent mechanical knowledge of and ability to repair small equipment and related equipment for the operation.
- Highly organized, able to balance multiple projects and priorities within the role and site. Exceptional project and time management
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site and the growing season.
- Punctuality, dependability, effective communication skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Perform additional duties at the request of supervisor, site director or leadership team member.
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
Applicants for Vegetable Production Assistant Job Must Submit:
DelNature employment application
3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)
to see full job description and to apply, please visit: