Full Season Farm Crew
Employer: Cloverleigh Farm
Work Location: Columbia, CT
Term of Employment: April-November. 2024
Compensation Range: $16-17/hr depending on experience
Duties / Responsibilities
This position is perfect for those want to play a very integral role in a farm business. Cloverleigh Farm is a small-scale diversified farm that operates a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program in addition to sales to the local food co-op, area school districts and a few restaurants. Most of our members live in a 30 minute radius of the farm.
The farm crew will be involved in: seeding, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing & packing. The work is very physical and is geared toward those to love to learn and work in an outdoor environment. Responsibilities include managing the same CSA pickup day each week all season. We have a planned series of public on-farm events to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, which staff can participate in as interested. We will be building out a new farm store this season and adding a high tunnel.
This is seasonal work March/April-November and it does slow down at the end of the season and often includes a gradual start depending on exact start date.
The farm crew works Mon-Fri during March, April, May and switches to Tues-Saturday for June to November. Hours average 30-40/wk during April and November, 40-45/wk from May-October. Work days begin at 8am in April and November, but primarily it’s a 7 am to 4 pm schedule for the majority of the season. This includes a 30 minute unpaid break for lunch and short paid breaks mid morning and mid afternoon.
- Hourly pay. $16-$17/hr depending on experience
- $200 gear stipend
- Workers compensation insurance
- CSA half share
- July 4th paid day off
- Alloted one week vacation (unpaid) to be taken in late August or September
Desired Applicant Experience
- Attention to detail and ability to focus to work efficiently and with skill
- Comfortable taking direction and asking good questions. Farms offer continuous learning opportunities throughout the season. It takes a lifetime to understand how to farm well on a particular parcel of land.
- Positive attitude and great work ethic; good conversationalist, jumps in to help out without be asked
- Follows instructions and asks for clarification when needed
- Experience working for a farm, garden center, landscaper, restaurant, baker, construction etc where hard work is done with your hands.
- Interest in working outdoors in hot, cold, buggy, rainy, sunny, or any and all conditions
- Ability to kneel, bend, walk, lift, and carry 30-50 lb. crates of vegetables repeatedly and consistently
- Good communication skills, kind disposition, interest in chatting with CSA members, and happy to share.
- Interest in high quality vegetable production and organic growing practices
- Comfortable working alone, in pairs, or small groups
- Drivers license
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
Apply using the online form on our website