Farm Crew Member (FT or PT)
Employer: Northwest Corner Farm
Work Location: Winsted, CT
Term of Employment: Seasonal, FT or PT, March-October 2024
Compensation Range: $17-20/hr BOE
Duties / Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced FARM CREW MEMBER (full-time or part-time) to join the team for our 2nd season (March/April – September/October) for greenhouse and field work, including seeding, transplanting, bed prep, irrigating, trellising, mulching, pruning, weeding, crop protection, as well as harvesting, washing, and packing produce, and more.
We’re looking for a positive, detail-oriented individual with a strong work ethic who can thrive in a small team and also work independently. Applicants must have at least one year of vegetable farming experience.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for growing high-quality, superior-tasting food using sustainable and regenerative farming practices. Working alongside the Farm Manager, the farm crew member contributes to executing an annual farm plan that produces vegetables, herbs, and other items for our Farm Share program (~40 member CSA) as well as for retail sales and wholesale accounts, including local schools, restaurants, and food banks.
Great opportunity for the right person to grow with the business as we grow. Communication skills are essential, along with extreme attention to detail. This position requires daily collaboration and interaction with the Farm Manager and Farm Owners, both in the field and including over email, text, and using shared calendars and working documents.
We are open to full-time or part-time applicants. Due to the seasonal nature of intensive vegetable production, the full-time position would require extended hours (~40-45/week) during the high season (June-August) including some weekends and holidays when necessary (e.g. watering, crop protection, etc.), offset by fewer hours (~25-30/week) during early and late seasons. Part-time position would involve 20-30 hours/week from approximately mid-March – mid-September.
Pay range $17-20/hr depending on experience; plus weekly Farm Share; full-time position includes 5 paid holidays
Desired Applicant Experience
Responsibilities and Requirements
- 1-2 years experience in commercial organic farming, hand/human scale
- Ability to work outdoors in nearly all weather conditions, year-round
- Knowledge of general small farm machinery (BCS, mower, etc.)
- Ability to operate machinery and power tools confidently and safely a plus
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds repeatedly
- Great communication skills and attention to detail are essential
- Fluency with GSuite (Docs, Sheets – MS Excel/Word equivalents) to maintain accurate farm records, as well as Gmail/Calendars to collaborate efficiently with farm team
- Some fluency with app-based tools such as shared team calendars on smartphone and laptop, greenhouse monitors, weather reporting, etc.
- General carpentry and handy person skills a plus
- Valid driver’s license and required personal vehicle operator insurance, with reliable transportation (we are located in a rural area with limited access to public transportation and driving motor vehicles will be required to fulfill job duties).
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for sustainable food production
- Enthusiasm for learning new techniques and practices
- Resilience in the face of climate change, including unpredictable weather and environmental challenges
- Ability to thrive in an evolving “startup” farm operation
Northwest Corner Farm
139 Grantville Road
Winchester, CT 06098
How to Apply / Notes / Other Information
How to apply:
Please complete our online application form where you can attach a short cover note and current resume, and let us know about your availability for a full-time or part-time position: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScR5BLO3IP73DCSijs2s5VCf2RP9Sc3u8sxF9Mk72s-BcLyuQ/viewform
Thank you for your interest in Northwest Corner Farm!