NOFA’s The Natural Farmer – Communications Administrator
Employer: NOFA Interstate Council
Work Location: Remote
Compensation Range: $25/hr
Duties / Responsibilities
Northeast Organic Farming Association Interstate Council (“NOFA IC”, “IC”) is hiring a Communications Administrator for The Natural Farmer (“TNF”), the quarterly in-print publication of NOFA. This is an Independent Contractor position hired by the Northeast Organic Farming Association Interstate Council (“NOFA IC,” “IC”).
TNF covers news of sustainable agriculture and the organic movement nationally and internationally, especially those from the seven NOFA-chapter states. TNF features articles about organic farming techniques, certification issues, environmental developments as they impact farmers and growers, issues of food justice and inequalities in the food system and their impact on farmers of color, migrant farmers and other marginalized groups, and other topics of interest to the Northeast organic community.
TNF is developing a racial justice statement, which the Contractor should be committed to upholding. While the statement is a work in progress, NOFA/Mass has a Working Racial Equity Statement that speaks to the IC’s position. NOFA encourages candidates from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds to apply. NOFA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
The Contractor shall oversee ad sales of The Natural Farmer and support the communications and administration needs for the printed publication, website, and social media. While the workflow is steady, it increases with the quarterly printing schedule – March 21, June 21, September 21, and December 21. Details of the services are outlined below.
TNF’s Editor supervises the contractor, and parts of the position are collaborative; however, this highly autonomous position requires a balance of excellent administration, marketing, interpersonal skills, and an ability to be accountable for its responsibilities with little oversight.
The Contractor will work 5-8 hours/week throughout the year for at most 400 hours, or $10,000, unless permitted to work more than this number. The position is 100% remote.
Compensation will be provided at $25/hour. Because this is a contract position, no health or Paid Time Off benefits are provided.
Desired Applicant Experience
- The ideal candidate is familiar with and has an interest in NOFA or farming, particularly in the NOFA states, and a demonstrated commitment to issues of food justice
- Experience in sales and sponsorship, including comfort with following up repeatedly to make a sale
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Great attention to detail
- Excellent administrative abilities to stick to deadlines, manage files and remain organized
- A proven ability to work efficiently and independently and ask for help when needed
- Proficient with Canva, Wix and Google Suite is needed
- There is no formal education requirement for this position
- Basic graphic design experience to resize or format files is needed.